Company History

 
​Lehigh Hanson is part of the HeidelbergCement Group. HeidelbergCement has been present in the United States since the acquisition of the Lehigh Cement Company in 1977. Heidelberg Cement acquired its Canadian operations in 1993 and Hanson plc in 2007. Today, the Lehigh and Hanson businesses in North America are collectively known as Lehigh Hanson.

Corporate functions in North America are managed by Lehigh Hanson, Inc. Subsidiaries and affiliates of Lehigh Hanson, Inc., manufacture, supply and market cement, aggregates and other construction materials to customers in North America.
 
Lehigh Cement Company
Founded in 1897, the Lehigh Cement Company began as a single-mill operation producing portland cement in Ormrod, Pennsylvania. In the early 1900s, when the U.S. was undergoing rapid expansion, Lehigh grew and thrived as the demand for concrete increased. Over the years, through a visionary policy of acquisitions, equipment modernization and productivity improvements, Lehigh Cement Company and its related companies have become leading suppliers of cements and construction materials in the United States and Canada.


Hanson plc
Hanson Trust was formed by James Hanson and Gordon White in 1964 and grew by acquisition to become a multi-national concern with interests across the world ranging from chemicals and construction in the US, to electricity supply, aggregates and tobacco in the UK and gold mines in Australia. In January 1996, the company demerged into four separate entities - Imperial Tobacco, The Energy Group, SCM chemicals and Hanson.
 
In the following years, Hanson sold its remaining non-core businesses to focus exclusively on heavy building materials. By 2006, Hanson had become the largest producer of aggregates in the world. Hanson plc was acquired by the HeidelbergCement Group in August 2007.